Sunday, April 4, 2010

My mover is affiliated with a well known national van-line, aren't they qualified to do office moves? Wrong.

I get this question from time to time. My mover is an agent for Mayflower, United, North American or some other well known national van-line; doesn't that mean they can do office moving?

The two are completely unrelated. A van-line line is concerned with interstate or long distance household moving and rarely does that type of mover qualify to do office moves. It reminds me of the time my wife had a horrible toothache, it was the first day of the Christmas holidays so I contacted a friend of mine who was a dentist. It turned out my wife needed a root canal and since because it was close to the holidays and I also suspect it paid well my dentist buddy said he would do it. Well after the procedure several days went by and yet it got worse, keeping my wife up all night even though we were feeding her the ibuprofen and antibiotic prescribed. Finally we got the name of an endodontist who confirmed that the dentist had missed three of the canals which was resulting in my wife’s pain. We scheduled an appointment two days later to fix the issue and go it fixed. My lesson, after all the agony of reaching for a quick and easy solution I cost my wife who is a school teacher her entire Christmas break. We ended up spending more money, and boy did I feel awful about not doing it right the first time. The same goes for an office move, the mover is driven by the envisioned revenue but, underestimates the job and the customer hoping to save a dollar goes forward. Mostly it is not that the mover intends to do a bad job they just "do not know what they do not know” about a commercial move. Monday morning comes and the move is unfinished, furnishings or the building was damaged or both. Everything must be moved a second time due to a poor plan or movers becoming exhausted and giving up. This leaves the person in charge of the move looking inept, frustrated and pointing fingers along with all of the other employees. The business is out of commission for many days or week after the move, sadly this was very avoidable. First talk to some other businesses that have moved and get their recommendations. Only consider movers who have done three to four moves of your type and size in the recent time period. If this is a hospital or medical move find someone experienced with medical equipment. If your move involves lots of confidential records you may want a mover who also does records storage and is familiar with all the privacy laws. The mover you pick should keep you concentrating on the rest of your operation not become a move planner, that is what you are paying him or her to do.

Another one I hear is "I thought my mover was a good choice for my business relocation because they had been in business for 30 years...... “Remember my example with the dentist, he had been a dentist for a long time, he just did not have the experience to do root canals. Track record, experience and training are the key to hassle free office moving. For solutions instead of excuses call 334-262-6666 or visit our web site at alwaysleading.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment